Sunday, June 25, 2006

My wonderful host family


My wonderful host family
Originally uploaded by Bob Clubbs.
I really couldn't have had a nicer homestay family. They were so good to me!

From left: Taichi (23), Hitoshi, Noriko, and Kana (19).

They were so generous and friendly. I'll never forget that wonderful experience of trying all that delicious Japanese food! You all would have been so proud of me. There was nothing that I didn't like, with the exception of the tofu. Some of the things I could have had second helpings of.

Today, Kana recommended that we eat at Mos Burger, since she found out that I am fond of burgers. It's her favorite chain in Japan. I had a delicious teriyaki buger. One of their combo options was a little fries & onion rings together. Why hasn't this caught on in the US?

Tokyo Bay was beautiful at night. Make sure you check out the photo of me with the mini-Statue of Liberty.

I really had a great time with them. Tomorrow we see an exhibition at the city hall and then we'll have a discussion with the PTA. Then it's off to Hakone and our visit to the ryokan. We'll stay overnight there for one last night as a small group. Then it's back to Tokyo where all 200 of us JFMFers will be convening again. Tuesday night we'll have some free time (which I'm sure will include much final souvenir shopping). I must do karaoke at some point before I leave! It will happen, people! (Hopefully they have Neil Diamond songs here... or maybe some Tom Jones, perhaps?)

I'm just sitting here basking in what an amazing experience it has been. It's truly a life-changing kind of thing, I think. My big goal is to try to "give back" now that I have been blessed with this gift from the people of Japan. I'm thinking an exchange student is definitely in our future some time, Brooke. What do you think?

It's going to be so hard not to be "Mr. Japan Expert" when I get home. I was discussing this with my host family. I have to remember not to make so many generalizations about things, since essentially I have only visited Tokyo and a suburb, and three schools. I haven't seen it all. But I have so many positive impressions of Japan. I'm just so grateful for the opporunity that I've had.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tim Lowke said...

Bob,
I agree with the Mr. Japan Expert comment. I too am going to have to be vigilent about commentary. I also say KARAOKE!!!!! we can't leave Japan without doing that. Tomorrow night it's the ryokan --- roomie.

Tim-

6/25/2006 4:54 AM  
Blogger 1UP RPG said...

I think an exchange student could be in our future for sure. But, aren't you supposed to wait till your children are as old as the student coming over? I am so happy to hear of your wonderful stay with them...and that the Japanese sleep in! :)

6/25/2006 11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so, i am curious about the house you are standing in front of. it looks rather western in design, clapboards etc. if much smaller than here. can you elaborate?

6/26/2006 10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make me want to go to EPCOT!

7/01/2006 5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home