Thursday, June 22, 2006

My Speech

Well, it turns out that I delivered my "speech" over the intercom this morning. On the one hand, that made me much less nervous. However, that would have been a really awesome photo op. I'm still really glad I got to do it. Here's what I ended up saying:

Students and staff of Kitazono High School:

On behalf of my fellow teachers, thank you for opening your school to us. Since arriving in your country nine days ago, we have been overwhelmed by the kindess and generosity shown to us.

We come here today and wish you peace and happiness on behalf of our families, our communities, and our country.

When we arrived in Itabashi, your mayor presented us with a gift of calligraphy which read, "Learning is a life long process." While we are in Japan, we hope to live up to this, larning as much as we can about your country and your culture. We are fascinated by things are large as your government and education system and as small as your supermarkets and pachinko parlors.

Today during our visit, we want you to feel free to talk to us. Ask us questions that you might have about the United States. We will do our best to teach you what we can. And as we interact with you today, observing your everyday activities at school, you will certainly be teaching us as well.

Today, we are all teachers. (Kiyowa menaga sensei des.)

Thank you very much.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you established just the right tone with that speech..I'm sure the kids felt more at ease with you all after they heard you. Your last statement was perfect! Nonni

6/22/2006 7:58 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Great job! What an awesome experience to see how alike we all really are.

6/22/2006 1:08 PM  
Blogger 1UP RPG said...

Oh, your speech made me cry. I wish I had a video of you giving it, even if it was on the intercom. Last line made me think of JFK's "Berliner" speech...
Where is Tom Harte when you need him?
I love you!
B

6/22/2006 2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home