Friday, June 23, 2006

Junior High Visit / Final Phase


JH Show & Tell
Originally uploaded by Bob Clubbs.
We made our final school visit yesterday at the Junior High.

The day started with a welcome assembly and continued with classroom visits all day. I admire the way they just let 20 Americans just roam freely around their school. What a distraction we must be. We're a classroom management nightmare!

I enjoyed interacting with the kids, and gave out some more homemade Jackson postcards. My "homeroom" class that I started the day with and ate lunch with also made cards for me to take back. They are so cool!

Our visit was followed by an evening of exploring some new streets with Tim, Pam, and Maria. We had to laugh at how difficult it was to try to explain how Maria wanted french fries instead of a baked potato, but she eventually got her desire! Another trip to visit my new friend Mister Donut rounded out the evening.

I retired early, since I was pretty exhausted! I kept wondering why I was tired, but then realized that I'd walked around a school for 8 hours and then around Itabashi for 3 hours.

Now, we are entering the final phase of the trip. Today (Saturday) we check out of this hotel and spend the night with our host family. We'll return to this hotel for Sunday night, which we have free. Then on Monday, we leave here headed for our stay at the ryokan (hot springs resort). Our is in Hakone, which I've been told is in a valley near Mt. Fuji. Oh, how I am hoping to see Fuji-san! We stay there Monday night, and then it's back to the Prince hotel on Tuesday. Wednesday we have our final presentations and sayonara buffet. Thursday I fly out for San Francisco, and eventually.... home!

It's amazing how much we've fit into this time, but it does seem to have gone by quickly. I'm not going to think about how sad I will be to leave or how happy I will be to get home, because I might get emotional about both!

This might be my last post until Sunday night, since I probably won't blog at my host family's. So everybody take care and thanks so much for those comments and emails.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

whenever anyone asks me to go on a hay ride i say the same thing

6/23/2006 3:57 PM  
Blogger 1UP RPG said...

You know my little scrapbooking heart is melting seeing that picture...
I can't wait to hear all about your host family stay!
Love you!
B

6/23/2006 7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home