Thursday, June 22, 2006

Drama Club


Drama club kids
Originally uploaded by Bob Clubbs.
At the high school, there are many after school club activities that take place every day. I was amazed at how many of the kids participate, how long they stay, and how little they are supervised. I asked around until I found the drama club. They were so similar to my kids: some all "drama queeny" and some kind of shy and awkward but wanting to try. They started out with tounge twisters (very fun to listen to in Japanese... all Japanese sounds like that to me) and then moved on to some improvs. Here, they are basically playing "props." They just gathered up crap from the room and used it in a scene. After each scene and activity, they would kneel on the floor and receive comments from their colleagues in the audience. It was very cool to watch. Again, very universal. I watched them for probably an hour and there was never a teacher in the room. We were able to talk a little bit and when I told them they were "very funny" they acted like I had given them each a thousand bucks. So cute!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

and so I have to ask...

what in the heck is with the peace sign in all the pics with the kids...is this some universal sign language for "we don't know what else to do in the pic so we do this with you american's" kinda thing or do they all just like the number 2 A LOT!!!!

6/22/2006 9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home